On The Plus Side of Being Pregnant

by - 2:59 PM


Most people choose to talk about the horrendous symptoms that come with being pregnant – not me, not today! I'm choosing to be more positive and talk about its perks. 

Here are some benefits which I've enjoyed thus far (though most of these only come into play well into your second or third trimester, whenever you start to look really pregnant, and not just like you enjoyed the buffet too much):

1. Most people offer to carry things for you
My parents have always trained me to be independent, and to be responsible for all my things, so I'm quite used to lugging around stuff by myself – be it at home, in the workplace, at the grocery, and at the mall. Ever since my bump started to really show though (which was starting the third trimester), I swear, people would go ballistic each time I tried to carry things that I normally do anyway! Like, at the mall, after purchasing some items we need for the baby, the sales associates would even offer to accompany me to bring the shopping bags to my car. Not being abusive, but I do enjoy the extra care!

2. PWD Parking
The only thing worse than Metro Manila traffic is finding parking, particularly in malls. My husband & I have not availed of this perk that much simply because there always seems to be regular parking wherever we go, anyway. This has come in handy though whenever I have to drive alone going somewhere and have no one to help me carry my purchases (because you can never assume #1 on this list) Parking at the PWD slots ensures that I am able to park quickly and easily, that I don't have to walk very far, and that I don't lug around my purchases for very long.

3. Priority lane in certain establishments like banks
Don't you just hate it when you've been in queue at the bank for quite some time already, and you see a teller sitting behind a counter doing completely nothing except to wait for certain preferred clients or senior citizens? (I'm looking at you, red and gold Philippine bank!) I'm not one to sneer at senior citizens for the perks they enjoy, because hey, they've earned it! But it just feels so satisfying to walk in the bank, then have it be your turn immediately. Am literally in and out of the bank in just a few minutes!

4. People let you use the comfort room first
It's true, people! Pregnant women do have to go use the comfort room more often. Not sure about the scientific explanation behind this – my guess is that baby is taking up so much space in the tummy, so much that she presses against my bladder (I could be totally making this up) Anyway, I find myself using the comfort room a lot more often that I used to, so it's definitely a nice gesture when people let you go first. Sorry na lang sa mga hindi buntis, nguni't ihing-ihi din.

5. Eat a lot without getting judged
The best part - you can eat to your heart's desire without getting judged. My general appetite has not increased significantly ever since getting pregnant, but one thing I can never say no to is sweets! I love sweets! (How can anyone not?) Thank goodness I don't have gestational diabetes, too, because now, I can always order dessert without being judged!

I'm down to the last few weeks of being able to enjoy these perks. I hope this has provided you with a different, happier perspective of what comes with being pregnant.

Which of these perks do you enjoy/are you looking forward to enjoying the most? Would love to hear about them in the comments below!

You May Also Like

0 comments