Mascara, shmascara!

by - 12:29 PM

Mascara is, by far, my favorite beauty item. I tell you, during hell weeks in school, I can totally skip my everyday make-up routine (which is really not a lot anyway), but not mascara. Even with unbelievably dark undereye circles and a multitude of zits on my face, I can just throw on some mascara and go out the door. Especially when you have not had enough sleep, curling your lashes and putting on some mascara can instantly open up your eyes and make you look more awake. It's definitely my 'desert-island' beauty product!

The thing about mascaras is that there are so many brands and kinds. There's high-end, then there's low-end. There's waterproof, smudgeproof, lengthening, defining, volumizing, curling, and regular. Then you get to the wands -- there are long, skinny wands, then you have ones which are thick, then you have curled wands, then you have really ginormous, rubbery wands. It all gets reaaaaally confusing. But I'll let you on a little secret: you do not need to spend your money on high-end masacaras!

Here's why:
  • You need to replace your mascaras every three to six months. (Mascara tubes are a breeding ground for bacteria. Replacing it every three to six months will ensure that you always have a fresh tube on hand. Expired mascara is NOT good, especially for contact lens wearers. Trust me. I was so hesitant to throw out a mascara which I really liked, so I continued to use it. Wrong move. My eyes stung and got all watery.)
  • Aside from the bacteria problem, if you don't replace your mascara regularly, it's going to dry out anyway. And your lashes will look crunchy, stiff, and flaky. Not pretty!
  • Replacing your mascara every three to six months can be quite costly. And it's really not practical to spend so much money on something that you're just going to throw out after six months.
  • Drugstore mascaras are just as good as high-end ones! Sometimes, even better. (My favorite mascara happens to be from the drugstore. It's the Maybelline Falsies and it only costs PhP449!)
  • Sometimes, you can even score really good deals on drugstore brands, like a 20% off or something.
Although I think drugstore mascaras are just as good as high-end ones, I do like to splurge and treat myself sometimes. My favorite high-end one is Make Up For Ever Smoky Lash. It gives you the thickest, darkest lashes ever! I believe I got this when I was in Hong Kong, so it was considerably cheaper than it is here. (I believe it runs for around PhP1,700-1,900 a tube here.) Although I really, really liked it, that is crazy expensive for a mascara! Which is why I never bought another tube of it. 

My long-time favorite was the CoverGirl LashBlast Volume in Waterproof. I've probably gone through about five or six tubes of it. (Mascara junkie alert!) I find that it defines my lashes really well and volumizes them amazingly. As for lengthening.. meh, it's okay. Nothing spectacular, but alright. I also prefer the waterproof to the regular version because it holds up the curl a lot better (Waterproof mascaras have more wax in them, thus they hold up the curl a lot better than the regular versions.)

However, my CoverGirl LashBlast has been replaced (Sshh, don't tell!) by the Maybelline Falsies in Waterproof. I first got my hands on these about a year ago when I was shopping in Duty Free. I had already heard so many great things about it on YouTube and was so excited to see that they had it in Duty Free (At that time, Maybelline Philippines was not yet carrying this particular product.) At first, I thought the formula was a little too wet. So I gave it around two weeks to dry up a bit, and I loved it! The Maybelline Falsies gave me long, thick, fluttery lashes! When I started using this mascara, my friends would always ask me if I had false lashes on. There was one day when I had three different people (one was a complete stranger) ask if I had false lashes on. And my best friend always, always, always asks what mascara I have on whenever I use this. Amazing! The best part of it is that it can easily be bought from the drugstore, yay!

Here's what the tube looks like.



And here's a picture of me using the Maybelline Falsies.




I love how my lashes are still seen! Usually, they disappear on camera. 


,
Nicole


P.S.
I'm currently trying out the Maybelline One By One mascara and lovin' it! Unfortunately, it's not yet available here in the Philippines. My friend Ico got it for me while she was in the States last Christmas. If you have the chance, go try it! :)


You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. I'M SPECIAL MENTION AHIHIHIHI!!!!! (nagwala, teh?)

    But I love love love falsies, all thanks to you! :) Ikaw lang ang nakaka-gets ng mga youtube obsession ko. So I'm glad you started this blog!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG my first ever comment HAHAHA Hi Ico! Relaaaxxx, giirl! HAHA But thank you talaga for the One By One! It could potentially replace the Falsies :D

      I'm still kind of new to this, and still kind of ashamed.. LOL

      Delete