Adjusting to Married Life

by - 4:47 PM


People always say marriage changes everything.

I don't agree.

In terms of your relationship with one another, being husband-and-wife is not all that different from being boyfriend-and-girlfriend, especially if the both of you have full-time jobs. Say, for J and myself, we still message each other throughout the day when we both have down time at work, and we still go out on dates whenever we can - exactly how we did prior to getting married. The only difference is that now, we see each other at the start and end of each day, and we get to share meals with one another more often (which is my favorite thing!) I will say though, that there have been a few pleasant surprises that came alongside marriage. Some of which are:

1. No more curfew
This only applies if you have strict parents. In my case, I have a super strict dad whose incessant "Wru" texts would begin as early as 8:30PM; who would insist that I be home no later than 10:30PM; who would ground me for the next week in case I am not home by 10:30PM. Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to rant LOL. Especially now that I am about to become a mom myself, I understand where he is coming from. But it is such a different experience not having to ask permission all the time anymore, and not having curfews on date nights. LOL Might seem shallow, but those with strict parents will totally get me.

2. Spending habits
Okay, being married doesn't change your spending habits much, especially when you're living with your in-laws. Being pregnant does. I rarely ever shop for myself these days! The only things I do purchase for myself are maternity clothes simply because I can't fit into my regular clothes anymore LOL Whenever I'm about to spend money, I'm always asking myself "should I spend xxx amount for this or just save up for baby's things?"

3. Weekends have become more hectic than weekdays
Out of the three, this came as the biggest surprise. Ever since we got married, J & I found ourselves stunned at how much faster our weekends seemed to fly by. Between running errands, attending childbirth classes, and having dinner with our families, it's rare that we get to have quiet date nights alone. And since we're expecting a little one soon, I can't help but feel a bit worried about how we'll manage to spend quality time as a couple in the near future...? Huhu please help, your suggestions are most welcome!

That said, marriage doesn't change a whole lot of things, having a family does. Being a first time mom-to-be is exciting as it is terrifying, but it's an adventure I'm so thrilled to be taking!

You May Also Like

0 comments