Highlighter Favorites ❤

by - 4:23 PM


Since I have normal to combination skin, I've always been slightly terrified of highlighters for fear of looking like a greaseball. Lately though, I've learned the secrets of subtle highlighting to get that glow-from-within we're all (well, at least I'm) after! Not a fan of the intense highlighting we see all over Instagram (and I mean the one that looks like a big stripe of flash!) - I think it looks unnatural and just too much for day-to-day. Just my two cents, whichever makes you happy though! ;)

Finding the right shade
In finding the perfect, subtle, everyday highlighter, I think the most important thing is to find the shade that's perfect for your skin tone. Not really much to say here, except that you have to try them on your face to really see how it will look on you. Swatching on your arm will not be the most accurate - trust me, a few of my favorite highlighters (that I will be sharing with you below) look completely different swatched on my arm and applied on my face. I have light medium skin with warm undertones, so I find that highlighters with a golden undertone work best for me. If you have cool undertones, try highlighters with a pearly or pinker undertone.

Texture is key
In order for your highlight to look truly skin-like, you want a very fine, satin texture in your highlighters. Big chunks of glitter are definitely out of the question. My two favorite highlighters (listed as #1 and #2 below) look almost matte in the pan, but on top of my cheeks, they give the most natural, satin, skin-like glow!

Use the right tools
What tools you should use really depends on the kind of effect you're after. If you want a more intense highlight, use a fluffy, but dense brush. I prefer a light wash for everyday, so I love using a fan brush for my powder highlighters. It deposits a small amount of product with each swipe, so you can slowly build up the product until you get your desired intensity. For liquid or cream highlighter though, I love using my fingers to apply. I find the warmth from my fingers helps to melt the product on to my skin for a more seamless finish.

Also, remember that when it comes to highlighting, less is definitely more. You want to look dewy and fresh, not glittery, and definitely not oily.

Here are some of my favorite highlighters of LIFE!


1. Laura Mercier Matte Radiance Baked Powder in Highlight-01



If you're a make-up junkie, then you've probably heard of the million and one praises this has gotten from the online beauty community since its release. Even make-up artists swear by this, and I can totally understand why! In the pan, it looks almost just like a face powder. When I swatched it on my arm, I was like meh, this may not even show up at all on me! I was so glad the sales associate at the Laura Mercier counter insisted to apply it with a brush on my face because OMG I was blown away! It gave me the most natural, skin-like glow. I even looked at myself up close in the mirror to check ('cause I'm a skeptic like that) and this did not emphasize my pores whatsoever. The texture is a very finely-milled satin, so it goes on seamlessly on to your skin. I love this stuff. If there's one highlighter I'm going to harass you into purchasing, it's this one! GO GET YOU SOME!

2. Essence Pure Nude Highlighter in 10 Be My Highlight

I think this is a total dupe for the Laura Mercier one I mentioned above because a.) it's also baked, b.) it also looks just like a face powder in the pan, and most importantly, c.) it gives the same effect on the skin. I use this and the Laura Mercier one interchangeably, depending on my mood. Honestly though, if I were to dip my brush into either one of these without looking, and apply it to my face, I would not be able to tell which I was using.

The best part is that this is totally accessible at most major department stores nationwide at less than PHP400 a pop! Love finding drugstore dupes for high-end products!

3. Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Opal


I only have one liquid highlighter - this one from Becca. Honestly, I got it because I saw Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach use it in her everyday make-up tutorial LOL I don't know what I was expecting from this, though I was pleasantly surprised with the fresh, dewy look it gave me when I applied it with my fingers. The shimmers in this are so fine, they do not come off the least bit gritty on your skin. This is a nice option for those with drier skin types.

4. Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed in Champagne Pop


For day-to-day, I will choose any of the above three highlighters in this list, but I do have a more intense option for special occasions or say, a night out (who am I kidding, I rarely go out at night.) This one by Becca in shade Champagne Pop is probably the most hyped about highlighter in the online beauty community. Beauty YouTuber Jaclyn Hill (whose highlight is always.on.point!) collaborated with Becca to come out with this particular shade that is said to be universally-flattering. Personally though, because of the golden peachy undertones, I think this suits warmer skin tones more. This is definitely a very pigmented and intense highlighter, so be careful when you're going in with your brush because it's really easy to go overboard with this! I prefer using a fan brush to apply because then, I can slowly build up the intensity.

Have you tried any from the bunch? Let me know your thoughts!

❤,
N

You May Also Like

0 comments