All about bold, pink lips!

by - 11:39 AM

It's no secret that I love me a good, red lip (proof is here), but most of the time, I prefer to wear a bold pink vs. a bold red. The only time I ever really go for red over pink is during the holidays. Year-round, I just feel more comfortable in pink. I feel it's just as empowering as red, but younger, fresher, and with just a little more sass!

I wore bold pink lips for years before I started to wear red. So if you're new to bold lips, you may want to try pink! :) I promise, it's not as scary! :)

Here, I'm sharing with you my four fave bold, pink lipsticks. As a prelude, I should share that my fave finish for any color of bold lips is satin to matte (though I prefer satins to totally mattes). Satins and mattes provide much better color payoff vs. glossy or lustre-types, and because these are bold colors, I do want to get the best color payoff. Satins and mattes also provide a better staying-power on your lips, so you don't have to keep re-applying. We don't want to have to pile on layers upon layers upon layers of lipstick just to get that color, only to have it slip off, do we?


(L-R: 1-Maybelline Color Sensational in 160 Fifth Ave. Fuschia, 2-Shu Uemura Rouge Unlimited Supreme Matte Lipstick in M PK376 or Gangnam Pink, 3-Wet N Wild Megalast Lipstick in 905D Smokin' Hot Pink, 4-Maybelline Color Sensational Vivids in 904 Vivid Rose)

1. Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick in 160 Fifth Ave. Fuschia
Before I discovered WNW Smokin' Hot Pink, this was my favorite. It still holds a special places in my heart. This one is exactly what its name says it is, it's a bright fuschia. It's a bright pink with more purple than red tones. This one is a little bit cooler-toned. The finish is just a smiiiiidge shinier and moisturizing than the WNW Megalast Lipsticks, bordering a lustre finish. The nice thing here is that since it's more lustre-y, you can just dab this on your lips and blend it in with a clean finger to make it a stain if you're not going for the full-on bold lip look or if maybe you're new to bold lips and just want to get your feet wet. You can even do a Korean gradient lip with this one!

2. Shu Uemura Rouge Unlimited Supreme Matte Lipstick in M PK376 (more popularly known as Gangnam Pink) 
This is a cult fave among Asians. If you go to any Shu Uemura store and ask for their best selling lipstick, chances are, this would be it. Interestingly, bold pinks are more popular in Asia than anywhere else. This particular one, I think was popularized by Korean celebrities (I could be making that up, but you can refer to the below picture and decide for yourself.) This one is a true, hot pink. No blue nor yellow nor orange or whatsoever undertones in it, just a true, hot pink. Like any matte lipstick, the formula on this was a bit drying, though it didn't feel quite as heavy as other matte lipsticks do. Also, I would recommend giving your lips a good scrub and moisturizing them reaaaally well before putting this on because this will accentuate any kind of dryness or flakiness. But the color is just so pretty that I can forgive all its dryness-emphasizing characteristics! It's the purrrfect lipstick to use if you don't want to wear a lot of make-up, but still want to look all glammed-up. And guess what, this looks AMAZING on morenas!! Seriously. I've never seen a bright, pink lipstick look that good on mestizas, chinitas, and morenas alike!



3. Wet N Wild Megalast Lipstick in 905D Smokin' Hot Pink
This one I think is the closest in the bunch to a red. I'm putting it out there, I will not love another pink lipstick as much as I love this. EVER (and forever is a very long time.) It's that raspberry color - that "is it pink? but is it red? but is it pink?? but is it red??" color that I absolutely LOVE! This is a pretty neutral pink, not too cool-toned, but not too warm, so I think it'd look good on just about anyone! And the finish on these Megalast Lipsticks are awesome, they go totally opaque in just one swipe and the formula is a nice, satin finish, so it gives your lips a nice dimension. The best part? Costs only PHP199. Go get you some!!

4. Maybelline Color Sensational Vivids in 904 Vivid Rose
Last but not the least, this color I tend to go for more in the summer because it has subtle coral hints in it. Like Fifth Ave. Fuschia, the formula and finish is just as lustre-y. Because it's so hot in the summer, I don't really like wearing a thick lipstick, so I use this more as a stain to give me that I-just-ate-a-popsicle look. :) This is the brightest of the bunch, almost a neon, so I do have to be a little brave to wear this! The Vivids line of lipsticks are sadly not available in the Philippines. Maybelline Philippines has not brought them here yet, but they've been out in the US and UK for a while now. I got this last summer while we were in London for a trip.

Are you now a pink lippie convert? :)

You May Also Like

0 comments