TAG: Products I Regret Buying

by - 11:31 AM

I have quite a number of regrets in my life, but (fear not!) I am not about to get deep down and personal here. This tag is about beauty products which I regret buying. I hope this can help some of you, if maybe you're thinking about buying them. :)



Before I start though, I should say that just because these products didn't work for me, doesn't mean they won't work for you too. Skin and preference varies from one person to the next, and products may react differently from person to person. Maybe I'm just using these products wrongly (in which case, I would love it if you could leave me a comment down below telling me how you use it! :) ). These thoughts are my own. Take what you will. :)

1. Coastal Scents 88 Original Eyeshadow Palette
This palette contains 88 dime-sized eyeshadows in different colors. It practically has all the colors you could ever need. Pigmentation and formula is great too. This was all the rage among YouTube beauty gurus back then, which is what made me buy it. In theory, this sounds like the perfect palette for anyone, but I just don't find myself using this anymore. Back when I was just starting my make-up collection, I bought this thinking that this would be a good one to experiment using different colors with. I don't think I ever did actually use the other colors though, I would pull this out only to use the neutral eye shadows. I only really ever wear neutral eye shadows. Now that I have so many other better neutral eye palettes like the UD Naked or the LORAC Pro, I don't ever really reach for this anymore.

2. Revlon Colorstay Foundation (Original) & Revlon Colorstay Whipped Creme Foundation
These are really popular foundations among YouTubers, mainly for the coverage and staying power they provide. Some people compare its coverage with the MAC Studio Fix foundation. People have even said that this worked really well on their very oily skin and stayed on all day. So I bought the Original formula thinking this would be my holy grail foundation, especially since it's so hot and humid here in the Philippines. It did provide nice coverage, and it did stay on pretty well. It just felt too heavy on my face for my liking. I felt like I had a mask on the whole day. The Whipped Creme formula came out much later, and I gave that one I try because I've heard people say that was a much lighter formula. Ech, nothing. Still too heavy for me. (For reference, I don't wear liquid foundations on a daily basis, so maybe that's why I found this too heavy. But if I do have to wear liquid foundation, I prefer ones with a really light formula like the Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua. If you're used to wearing liquid foundation quite often though, you might like this!)


3. Etude House BB Cream
I bought this at the start of the BB cream craze. At that time, there weren't too many options here in the Philippines, and I bought this thinking that since it's a Korean brand, and BB creams were popularized by Korean celebrities, this would be a good choice. Wrong. It made my face mega-oily and turned it into a greaseball within just maybe two hours. I can see this working for drier skin types, though, to provide a nice, dewy finish.



4. MAC lipstick in Creme de Nude
I bought into the YouTube craze over this lipstick as well. If you look on MAC's website, this is one of their bestselling lipsticks, and I can see why - it's a warm, creamy nude with no shimmer. The lipstick formula is a Cremesheen, too, so payoff is great and provides great moisture and a subtle glossy look on your lips. The shade gives you straight-up "concealer lips," though. And I've decided that concealer lips aren't for me.


5. L'Oreal Nutri Shine lipstick in Golden Vanilla
I don't like lipsticks with glitter in them, and this one had chunky glitter all over. The color was a great warm, peachy nude that didn't make me look washed out like MAC Creme de Nude did, but the chunky glitters felt soooo gritty on lips, it was a total deal-breaker.


6. Revlon Lip Butter in Peach Parfait
Same issue as with the L'Oreal Nutri Shine lipstick. And I wanted to like this one soooooo bad. I love the lip butters, they're probably one of my fave lip products of all time. The color is also similar to NARS Orgasm, but in a lip butter form , so it was sooo perfect for every day use. The glitters in this one though were even worse than the L'Oreal Nutri Shine. The glitters in this one were bigger, chunkier, and grittier. (I hope you can tell from the picture below) I did not like the feeling on my lips at all.


7. YSL Touche Eclat
I bought into the hype of this product as well. Every magazine will say that this is THE beauty item to have and that if you could only have one, this is THE ONE to get. It's meant to highlight certain points in your face like under your eyes, on your cheekbones, down the bridge of your nose, etc. But I've found products (like the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles or the MAC Prep and Prime) which have worked just as well, some even better for just a fraction of the price. Because this product was ridiculously expensive, (It was $41. FORTY-ONE. I can't believe I spent $41 on a highlighter.) I did use this one up. This was a total waste of money for me.


8. Revlon Colorstay Eyeshadow in Attitude
I liked the idea of having a matte, neutral eye quad for everyday, but the pigmentation on this quad disappointed me greatly. When you go to swatch it in the store with your fingers, pigmentation is fine, but I can't seem to get that same pigmentation when I use it with actual brushes on my eyes. The formula was chalky, too. I really, really regret buying this one especially because it was quite pricey for a drugstore brand. I'd recommend the Wet N Wild eyeshadow trios/palettes over this one, ANY DAY! And those are really, really affordable.


9. MUFE Camouflage Cream Palette
I bought this at the time I needed to replace my concealer thinking that this would be the best one since it had a light and a darker shade for me to be able to mix to get my perfect shade. On top of that, it also had a green to cancel the redness from my acne (At that time, I was suffering from really bad hormonal acne.), and had a salmony-peach color for the darkness under my eyes. This did work for me, but I just found it too much of a hassle to be mixing and blending one concealer with another for it to look right. I will be keeping this, though, just in case my relatives or my friends ask me to do their make-up.


10. Clinique Chubby Stick Intense in Heftiest Hibiscus
This one, I only regret for the color. This shade of red orange just does not work for me. I've tried to work with this, but it never seemed to look right. The formula is great, though. Not as moisturizing, thin, and balm-y as the regular Chubby Sticks, but still more moisturizing than other regular lipsticks. Pigmentation is great, too. I just feel like the color makes me look like a clown.


Below are swatches of the lip products:
(L-R: 1-Clinique Chubby Stick Intense in Heftiest Hibiscus, 2-Revlon Lip Butter in Peach Parfait, 3-L'Oreal Nutri Shine in Golden Vanilla, 4-MAC Creme de Nude)


If you'd like to try any of the above (except the MUFE Camouflage Cream Palette and the YSL Touche Eclat), I'd be happy to give them to you for just a fraction of the original price I bought them for. Let me know! :)

You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! :) Revlon Colorstay Original is in 200 Nude (purchased early 2013) and my Revlon Colorstay Whipped is in 220 Nude (purchased early 2014). Same shade name, but different number. :) Only used maximum of 3x each. :)

      Delete