Possibly the best part of the day.. taking your make-up off!

by - 3:42 PM

YES, PEOPLE. Cleansers to take your make-up off are actually different from just your regular cleanser. So you spend your money on actual make-up to put on your face, and you spend some more just to take it all off! I can still remember the look of confusion (of frustration, I can't really tell) from my brother's face when he came to realize this.


Removing your make-up is important, especially before going to bed. Every woman (and their cats) has probably been told never to go to bed with make-up on. Not only do you get gunk on your sheets, but it can also clogs your pores for far longer than is tolerable. Sleeping with your make-up on is literally begging for a breakout. (Have I scared you enough yet? Hehehe)

Today, I'm taking you through my favorite make-up removers/cleansers/wipes-type of things for use at home, on-the-go, and for nights when you're just too tired and can't be bothered to get yourself to the bathroom to do a proper wash-off :)


These are the steps I take to remove my make-up at home:
1. Use a cleansing oil
2. Do a follow-up wash with my regular facial cleanser OR do a wipe-down with cleansing water


My favorite (EVERRR) cleansing oil is the Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil in Fresh. I have been using this since high school and it has never failed me. Takes all (and I mean, ALL.) your make-up in one go, even the darkest, most stubborn waterproof mascara or eye liners. No tugging, no rubbing, no scratching, nothing! People love waterproof mascaras for their ability to hold a curl, but a lot don't like using waterproof mascara on a daily basis because it's so difficult to take off. If you're one of those people, GET THIS! It will change your life. And being oil-based, the best thing about cleansing oils is that they don't dry you out at all. When you go in to wash it off, it leaves your skin feeling fresh, clean, and soft. I know especially for oily-skinned guys or gals, the prospect of using an oil-based cleanser sounds like a nightmare, but trust me on this, guys. I'm combination-oily, and this has never broken me out. :) Once you've used a cleansing oil to take your make-up off, you really can't go back to anything else! And I don't say that very lightly about any product!

Typically, after using my Shu Uemura cleansing oil, I don't really feel the need to do a follow-up wash or wipe-down. On days though wherein I feel extra icky (like if it's been really hot and humid, or if I've had my make-up on for an entire 8-hour day, or if I've had a full face of make-up on for formal events, etc.), I will do either a follow-up wash with just my regular facial wash or a quick wipe-down using a cotton pad with a cleansing water. The facial wash I'm using is the Clean & Clear Deep Cleansing Foaming Facial Wash (not in picture) and for the cleansing water, I use the Bioderma Sensibio Micelle Solution (????). 


The Clean & Clear one is cheap, gets the job done, have been using it since I was in high school as well. Bioderma is very popular among YouTube beauty gurus; it claims to cleanse, remove make-up, and soothe your skin. Some people just use this to take their make-up off and that's it! No rinsing required. For me though, I use this more as a follow-up and will just soak a cotton pad with some Bioderma and do a quick wipe-down of my face, just to get rid of any make-up in spots that I may I have missed (i.e., hairline, near my ears, jaws, neck, etc.). This is also nice to get rid of the icky-residue feeling you sometimes have after having your make-up on the whole day, even after taking it off. I have heard people say though that Bioderma does a really good job of taking your make-up off, even waterproof mascara.


Oh, I love make-up wipes! (Can you tell?) For late nights when I'm too tired and just want to plop into bed, I will just use a wipe to take all my make-up off. The best and my favorite is the Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes (not in picture, because I'm out of it, and I'm trying out other brands). This gets rid of even waterproof mascara, leaves no oily residue, and smells so, so, so good!! I used to have to get someone to buy it for me abroad. Now you can get your hands on them locally at S&R or at BDJBox.com :) Hooray!


I've been trying out other brands though, and the one I'm using right now is the Pond's Wet Cleansing Towelettes. It does get my make-up off, and also leaves your face feeling clean & fresh, but it does not take any of my waterproof mascara off. With regular mascara, it takes it all off with no problem, but waterproof mascara does not budge at all. I got this at S&R too.

Why do I have a boatload of make-up wipes, you ask? I love them so much because they're so convenient! I have a pack everywhere - on my vanity, in my bag, in my gym bag. Currently on my vanity is the Pond's one. In my bag, I just have this little tiny baby pack of wipes from Bench. These are pretty good, they do take off waterproof mascara and they smell and feel really nice, and are mega-afforable at only PHP30 per pack. :) In my gym bag, I have a pack of the Simple Kind to Skin Exfoliating Wipes. I originally bought this for my vanity, and it worked nicely, but (since it was exfoliating) I did feel it was a little harsh on my skin. I'm just being a good girl and using this up. After working out, I would normally wash my face with a facial cleanser, but I keep a pack of wipes with me just in case I'm in a pinch. I really feel this does get all the dirt out of my face after working out (For those who go to the gym, you know how dirty your face or hands can feel sometimes after!) 

I do have a back-up pack of The Face Shop Herb Day Cleansing Wipes for my vanity, just in case I run out. I do like this, and I've repurchased this over and over.

Nivea Philippines has recently released its line of make-up wipes and I decided to pick up a pack to try because I've read so many good reviews, particularly on the Gentle Facial Cleansing Wipes. (Marj Sia raved about it here and I super trust her opinion :) ) Could this possibly be a replacement for my beloved Neutrogena wipes? We shall see!


The last item is the Pond's Cold Cream. Before I discovered the wonders of the Shu Uemura cleansing oil, I used this to remove my make-up. This is a thick cream that you put on your face, massage in, then wipe off using tissue. It did work pretty well, but then I discovered the Shu Uemura cleansing oil. Looking back, the entire make-up removing process using this was tideous - it took so much massaging, and wiping with tissue. By the end of it all, you more or less ended up with a mountain of grimy, slimy, tissue on your sink. Ech. I'm telling you again, once you've tried cleansing oils, you will never go back!

This must have been very boring for most of you, so if you've reached this point, CONGRATS! And I love you for it. :)

You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. I love :
    1) Shu Uemura
    2) Nuetrogena wipes
    3) Classic Pond's cold cream
    4) Human Nature makeup remover on those in-between days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms. Avs! :) Is the one from Human Nature oil-based? Or are those wipes? Am actually looking for a cheaper cleansing oil. The Shu Uemura one is quite pricey, hehe! :)

      Delete