Red lipstick collection: swatches and mini reviews!

by - 12:16 PM

I love me a good, red lip. It's the quickest, easiest way to look polished with minimal effort!

And thanks to Tay-tay (who will be wearing red lipstick in 9 out of the 10 pictures of her that you Google - try it!), the classic bright red lipstick seems to be back in every girl's frequently-used-make-up bag.

 (I don't own this picture. Credits go to the rightful owner.)

The idea of wearing a bold red lip may intimidate some people, just because there are so many types of reds (warm, neutral, cool), and so many finishes (glossy, satin, matte). This is a round-up of my red lipstick collection which I have obtained and tried over the years. I'll tell you my thoughts, how and when I like to wear them, as well as share some swatches :)

I have a total of 8 red lipsticks, and have arranged them according to tone from warm to neutral to cool.

(L-R: 1-Clinique Heftiest Hibiscus; 2-Revlon Fire & Ice; 3-Revlon Wild Watermelon; 4-Cover Girl Hot Passion; 5-Happy Skin My First Time; 6-Wet N Wild Stoplight Red; 7-MAC M.A.C. Red; 8-Revlon Cherries In The Snow)

1. Clinique Chubby Stick Intense in Heftiest Hibiscus
The warmest of the bunch, this lipstick is a very red orange. It leans more orange than red, actually. The color is opaque in one swipe, but isn't as thin/moisturizing as the regular Chubby Sticks. It still felt like I was wearing a lipstick, rather than a balm. (The regular Chubby Sticks have a sheer, see-through, moisturizing formula. They feel super comfy on the lips; you feel like you're wearing a balm rather than a lipstick. This is a Chubby Stick Intense, so color payoff is better, but I guess there's a trade-off, isn't there?) I don't particularly like this one on me, I think the orange tones pick up a little too much on my yellowish complexion and make me sallow. I've seen this on fair-skinned and morena-skinned girls, though, and it looked gorge on them! I think it would have liked it a lot more if this had a sheerer formula.

2. Revlon Superlustrous Lipstick in Fire & Ice
The perrrrfect red-orange lipstick for me - not too orange, not too red, right smack in the happy middle! This isn't just any red lipstick, though. It's been around since 1952 in the legendary Revlon Fire and Ice campaign. And when a lipstick shade has been around for that long, you know Revlon's done something right!


 (I don't own this picture. Credits go to the rightful owner.)
Well-pigmented (not for the faint of heart) and provides just the right amount of sheen/moisture to your lips (satin finish, not glossy!) Would look fab on warm skin tones! :) My fave warm red!


3. Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Wild Watermelon
Oh, how I love the Revlon Lip Butters! They provide sheer, but very buildable color while keeping your lips nice and moisturized! The color payoff is outstanding for the moisture they provide. However, granted that these are so moisturizing, they won't last as long as an opaque lipstick would. If maybe you're new to red lipstick, this could be the one for you. This is a see-through, warm, red color that is so easy to wear, and perfect for everyday. This gives you the look of just having eaten an ice popsicle :) But you can totes build this up for a more intense color! (The entire Lip Butter line is incredible! So many colors to choose from!)

4. Cover Girl LipPerfection Lipcolor in Hot Passion
During her Cover Girl campaign, Taylor Swift swore by this particular shade from the line. Word's out that this is the lipstick shade she was wearing in the below ad:
 (I don't own this picture. Credits go to the rightful owner.)
I would classify this lipstick as a neutral red - with cooler hints of blue, but more warm than cool. Super bright, super pretty. I always feel this makes me look more well-rested than I really am. The only downside to this is that it stains your lips pretty badly. My lips will still be stained even after taking my make-up off with my Shu Uemura cleansing oil. So if you will be changing lip colors throughout the day, that might be something to consider.

5. Happy Skin Shut Up & Kiss Me Moisturizing Lippie in My First Time
I always have this in my bag because it is the easiest red lip to wear. My fave way of wearing it is as a stain - I just swipe it on, and dab it into my lips to make it a stain. That instantly brightens up my complexion while being a low-maintenance lip color. This is very buildable too, so you can certainly put on more if you want a bolder, more opaque, red lip. Super moisturizing too! And this is a neutral red (more cool than warm, this time), so all skintones can pull this off. This is my fave neutral red. Plus points for being a local product. Yay! :)

6. Wet n' Wild Megalast Lipstick in Stoplight Red
This classic blue-toned red is said to be a dead-on dupe for cult fave MAC Ruby Woo. If you've been wanting to get your hands on MAC Ruby Woo and maybe don't want to spend the money on it, this is a really good dupe. I've seen swatches online and the color is exact! The only difference is the finish. MAC Ruby Woo is very matte (the usual complaint about this super matte lipstick, is that it's very, very drying) WNW Stoplight Red provides a satin finish, so it's not super matte, but not glossy either. To me, a satin finish is perfect for a red lip because it provides dimension to your lips and makes them look fuller than a matte lip would. Super opaque, and super affordable! I got mine for only PHP199. :) My fave blue-toned lipstick, hands down!

7. MAC Satin Lipstick in MAC Red
MAC Red is one of the more popular red lipsticks in the market. Though very cool-toned (this one's a vivid bright blue-red), I'm still able to pull this one off. My mom loves this one too, she says it kind of makes her teeth look whiter. And we're all for whiter teeth, aren't we! This used to be my favorite blue-toned lipstick, but has been replaced by WNW Stoplight Red.

8. Revlon Superlustrous Lipstick in Cherries In The Snow
This is another Revlon lipstick with history dating back to 1953. The campaign for this came out a year after the Fire & Ice campaign.
 (I don't own this picture. Credits go to the rightful owner.)
In the tube, it certainly looks like a very blue-toned red, but once applied, it actually comes off a very pink-based red. I would call this one a raspberry color (Is it red? But is it pink? But is it red? But is it pink??) I actually prefer this one over Fire & Ice, just because I feel that much more comfortable, safer, and low maintenance wearing a bold pink than I do a bold red. Formula is the same fabulous one as that of all lipsticks in the Superlustrous line. :)

Here's a closer look at the tubes and the swatches:

(L-R: 1-Clinique Heftiest Hibiscus; 2-Revlon Fire & Ice; 3-Revlon Wild Watermelon; 4-Cover Girl Hot Passion; 5-Happy Skin My First Time)

(L-R: 4-Cover Girl Hot Passion; 5-Happy Skin My First Time; 6-Wet N Wild Stoplight Red; 7-MAC M.A.C. Red; 8-Revlon Cherries In The Snow)

You May Also Like

0 comments