TAG: I Heart Drugstore Makeup

by - 10:42 AM

I've wanted to talk about my favorite drugstore products for a while now, and I think this tag is the perfect way to get in a broad discussion about it. I'll be talking about both local & foreign brands alike. :) (WARNING: Lengthy post ahead!)

Here are the questions!:
1. What is your favorite drugstore makeup brand?
Has to be Maybelline. I love so many of their products. Their Color Sensational line of lipsticks is amazing - color selection is huge, color payoff awesome, and they feel nice and moisturizing on your lips! I have Make Me Pink, Warm Me Up, Pink Me Up, Fifth Ave. Fuschia, and Vivid Rose (from their Vivids line which is sadly not available in the Philippines)



L-R: 1-Warm Me Up, 2-Make Me Pink, 3-Pink Me Up, 4-Fifth Ave. Fuschia, 5-Vivid Rose

The Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Concealer is also one that I've repurchased over and over again. (More on this below!)

Note: Photo is not mine. Credits go to rightful owners.
I've also used the Maybelline Dream Matte powder for years (since I was in high school) as a light powder to use alone or to set my foundation/BB cream - it keeps my face nice and matte, feels super light, and never looks cakey. These days, I do prefer my 3W Clinic Powder, but I take the Maybelline one whenever I'm traveling because it's compact and easier to use since it's in a pressed format.

Note: Photo is not mine. Credits go to rightful owners.
Lastly, mascara. I'm sure I've told you some time in this blog before of my undying love for Maybelline The Falsies mascara. It's the one mascara I keep going back to. Trumps any other mascaras I've tried, even high-end ones. (Armani Eyes to Kill and YSL Faux Cils, I'm looking at you!) Super black, keeps my lashes separated, lengthens, thickens, holds a curl all day (and all night), and doesn't budge! Love this stuff!

Note: Photo is not mine. Credits go to rightful owners.
Apart from The Falsies, I've also tried several other Maybelline mascaras (all of which I loved) like the One By One, Mega Plush, Colossal, and the Hypercurl.

2. What are your favorite face, cheek, and lip products?
Face: I love the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles concealer as an undereye concealer or brightener. Formula is light, so it never looks or feels heavy while still being brightening. You could also use this as a subtle highlight on your cheeks, forehead, and down the bridge of your nose if you're into that Kim Kardashian-esque contour and highlight look.

Note: Photo is not mine. Credits go to rightful owners.
Cheeks: I've got two products to talk about here - Revlon Photoready bronzer in Bronzed & Chic & Careline Oil-Control Blush On in Fresh Tomato.

The Revlon Photoready bronzer in Bronzed & Chic is the best drugstore bronzer out there. It's got four colors, so you can mix and match whatever colors you want to get your perfect shade. Usually, I'll just swirl my brush in all four and do an all-over bronze; color is perfect, it's not too orange, not too muddy. If I wanted to do more contouring, I'll take more of the two darker tones.

Note: Photo is not mine. Credits go to rightful owners.
I have to talk about the Careline Oil-Control Blush On in Fresh Tomato. I've raved about it before (read it here), but I'll rave about it again. It's such a pretty red-orange color. On warm Asian skin, it just looks like the most natural flush. The best part is that it costs only PHP85. (Grrr, I really wanna go get their other colors, but I'm trying to be a good girl!)


3. Least favorite product?

The Maybelline Cheeky Glow blushes were pretty popular back when they came out two summers ago. They're more popularly known as the Dream Bouncy Blushes in the US or UK. These were pretty hyped up because of their memory-foam-ish texture (see it kind of squishes down and up when you touch it) and were supposed to be really good cream blushes for the summer. You know me, I'm all about the cream blushes, so I was pretty eager to try this! When I tried to put it on, it just patched up on my face and would not blend out. I've used natural hair brushes, synthetic hair brushes, my fingers, nothing! It just wouldn't blend out right. Was pretty disappointed with this one. :(


Note: Photo is not mine. Credits go to rightful owners.
4. What is the best makeup bargain?

If you're looking for a some good eyeshadows from the drugstore, please PLEASE go check out the Wet N Wild Color Icon Eyeshadow Trios/Palettes. They're my pick for best makeup bargain because you get super good quality shadows for a ridiculously low price! (I remember getting mine for below PHP200, it was something ridiculous! They've raised the price to PHP300+ since then, don't know what happened..) They have tons and tons of colors to choose from, from the neutral to the super cray and out-there. The shadows are so buttery soft and smooth and pigmentation is out of this world! The ones I have are Walking on Eggshells and Silent Treatment, both neutral and perfect everyday. I prefer Silent Treatment just a liiiittle bit more because it's one of those trios which can take you from day to night. And if you love taupe eyeshadows (think MAC Satin Taupe or NARS Kalahari-type shades), you need to get Silent Treatment if only for the taupey eyelid shade! It's the most beautiful taupe shade with a rose gold sheen - I've never seen any other taupe shadow like quite like it, it's ridiculous!!




L-R: 1-Walking on Eggshells browbone, 2-crease, 3-eyelid, 4-Silent Treatment browbone, 5-eyelid, 6-crease
5. What is your favorite underdog product? (Something you love that often gets overlooked?)

I feel like the Revlon Brow Fantasy doesn't get as much love as it should! It's a double-ended eyebrow product; one end is a brow pencil, the other end is a tinted brow gel. I don't have one right now though (wow how ironic) because I'm using other things. Back when I did have this, I could just use the pencil end and come in with a separate clear mascara. Whenever I was in a really big hurry, I could get away with just combing through my brows with the tinted brow gel that comes with it. It's not too dark, so it fills in sparse areas and thickens your brows just a bit. The thing I like most about the tinted brow gel is that it doesn't leave your brows feeling stiff and crunchy.


Note: Photo is not mine. Credits go to rightful owners.
6. A drugstore product that is overpriced?
I have to go with the Revlon Colorstay Foundation for this one, both Original and the Whipped formula. They run for more than PHP800 (maybe even PHP900?) To me, that's waaay too much to be paying for a drugstore foundation. I know a lot of people love this, but I've just always found this to be too heavy for my liking.




7. Show your best drugstore dupe(s)!!

Wet N Wild Megalast Lipstick in Stoplight Red is a very close dupe for MAC Ruby Woo. I don't have the MAC one, so the picture I'm sharing below are swatches I found online.

Note: Photo is not mine. Credits go to rightful owners.
Note: Pictures are not mine. Credits go to the rightful owners.
The only difference is the finish - WNW Stoplight Red is a satin, while MAC Ruby Woo is very matte. I prefer a satin finish anyway, because that way, it's not so drying. Color-wise, it's pretty close. If you've been wanting to try MAC Ruby Woo, but don't want to spend the money for it, go for this one. (More about this on my red lipstick collection here)

8. Drugstore product that isn't worth the hype?
The Revlon Nearly Naked Foundation got a lot of hype last year for being super lightweight, natural-looking while still providing nice coverage. You know me, I'm all about dewy, lightweight, and natural-looking foundations, so I ran out to get it as soon as it hit shelves. Since I've haven't had the best luck with Revlon foundations (refer to my rants on the Colorstay foundation above), I was super excited to try this and I thought, this could be it! But, alas! It didn't do it for me. Instead of making me look dewy, it turned my face into a grease ball and I had to blot my face within just three hours of application, and every two hours thereafter. (And FYI, I have combination-oily skin, so I shudder at the thought of how this might look on oily-skinned gals!) This might work for dry to normal skin types, but to me, it just wasn't worth the hype.


Note: Photo is not mine. Credits go to rightful owners.

You May Also Like

0 comments